Study Mission 2014 & AIITL 2014
IEEM Courses and Research Grants
Ernst-Ulrich PetersmannProfessor of International and European Law at the European University Institute and joint chair at the Robert Schuman Centre, Florence (Italy).
Studies in law and economics 1964-1970 at the Universities of Berlin, Heidelberg, Freiburg (Germany), Geneva (Switzerland) and the London School of Economics. 1976 Doctor iuris utriusque (summa cum laude) at Heidelberg University. 1977 Second Legal State Examination (Bar Examination). Habilitation 1989 for Swiss and German Public Law, European Law and International Law at University of Fribourg (Switzerland).
* 1972-1978 Research fellow at the Heidelberg Max-Planck-Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
* 1974 Legal assistant (trainee) in the Legal Service of the Commission of the European Communities, Brussels
* 1978-1981 Legal Counsellor in the Foreign Trade Department of the German Federal Ministry of Economics, Bonn, and German Delegate in numerous international organizations (e.g. UN, OECD, EC, COCOM)
* 1981-1990 Legal Counsellor in the Division of Legal Affairs in the GATT, Geneva
* 1989-1997 Professor of International Law, European Community Law and Swiss Public Law at the University of St. Gallen (Switzerland) and Director of the Institute of European Law at the University of St. Gallen
* 1990-2002 Consultant Legal Adviser in the GATT/WTO Secretariat and Member or Chairman of five GATT/WTO dispute settlement panels
* 1985-2001 Visiting Professor at the University of the Saarland (Germany), the University of Michigan Law School, the University of Fribourg (Switzerland), the European University Institute at Florence (Italy), the Institut Universitaire International de Luxembourg, the Institute of International Public Law of the University of Thessaloniki (Greece), the Amsterdam School of International Relations, the University of Lausanne (Switzerland), the University of Stellenbosch (South Africa), the Hague Academy of International Law, and the Academy of International Trade Law (Macao/China)
* Since 1992 Rapporteur and, since 1999, chairman of the International Trade Law Committee of the International Law Association
* 1993-2001 Visiting and associate professor at the Graduate Institute of International Studies at Geneva
* 1997-2001 Professor of European and International Law at the University of Geneva
* 1998-2001 Acting Director of the Geneva Academy of International Economic Law and Dispute Settlement, member of the Advisory Board of the Center for International & Comparative Law of the University of Michigan
* Since 2001 Joint RSC/EUI Law Chair in Public Law and Public Policy and Academic Director of the BP Chair in Trantatlantic Relations
19 books; ca 190 articles and book contributions; more than 100 book reviews.
22/05: Environmental Law & Policy